02 April 2007

There's a pietricica in my orez!

Last night I was eating rice and chicken delivered from our favorite Chinese restaurant in town. I was chewing happily along when--crunch!--I bit a pebble (pietricica). I thought everything was okay when after I finished my tongue felt a huge piece missing in my lower left second molar! I had never had that happen before. Today, I was able to call a Romanian dentist that Stephanie has been to (I'm glad she went first!). I will be able to go tomorrow afternoon and get it repaired. I don't mind either since dental visits here are far less expensive than those in the states, with an xray costing just over two dollars. Well, I guess I'd better get the dictionary out and brush up on some Romanian dental words like "tooth"; "drill"; "more novacane please!"; "Ow"; "it HUURTS"; "Auugh!"; and especially "What that?!". I add more to this once it's over.

Update: Well, I probably experienced one of the best dental visits that I can remember. The office was very well equipped with what it seemed to be new technology that I'd never seen before. The dentist and is wife, his assistant, were very kind and professional. The only difficulty I had was understanding his Romanian through his face mask. He kept telling me to turn my head toward him, sometimes several times. Not until he took my head and turned it, did I fully understand what he was saying. In just 30 minutes he was able to fix my chipped tooth and buff my teeth. The tooth looks as if it was never broken. I told Daren about it, and he went the next day. Another problem is that I had to ask for the invoice and receipt, something that will take time Romanians to get the hand of, especially as new European Union citizens. Anyway, I joked and said that I was giving it to the Chinese restaurant from whence came the rice--and the pebble.

No comments: